JP2 - We love you!
For a combination of reasons, I waited to write my thoughts and reflections on the passing of Pope John Paul II. In fact, I'm still not entirely sure where to start. There are so many emotions going through me over the death of this great man that it might take a bit to sift through all of this. So for anyone who's actually around and reading this, please bear with any rambling that is about to come forth.
I think any good reflection such as this starts with stories about encounters and impacts someone such as John Paul II made on my life. I am definetely in the number of people who have never known another Pope. I feel extremely fortunate that, in my relatively short life so far, I was able to attend to Masses that John Paul II presided over. The first was in 1997, when as a junior in high school, I went with a group from my school to Italy for spring break, which included Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square. That was one of those days that is pretty well crystalized in my mind - so many great stories came from that day that I could fill a few more blog pages. But I remember being on the plane from Chicago to Milan, talking to various people, including Mr. Cavoli, the teacher in charge of the trip, and various other chaperones about the trip. And there was one question that came up with a sad amount of frequency prior to the trip: "Do you think the Pope will be able to say Mass on Easter?" There had been some stories in the news how he was having some health problems at the time, so there was much question as to whether he'd be able to be there. The newspaper in Rome had a story that morning that he wasn't healthy enough to say Mass. Needless to say, there was much disappointment when we heard that. Now, if I remember correctly, Mass was supposed to start at 1030. There ended up being a significant delay (I want to say it finally started at 1115). And to my groups surprise and delight, out came John Paul II to preside over Mass. I wish I could tell you that I remember what his Easter message was that year. I wish that I could tell you every single detail of that Mass. But what I remember most are two things. First, I remember hearing him wish "Happy Easter" in 50-some different languages, and him visibly and happily reacting to the groups of people from each area of the world that he spoke to during that greeting. Second, I remember the absolute inspiration that it was seeing this frail old man fight off his ailments, offer his sufferings up to God, and walk slowly out to the altar, just to celebrate Christ's Resurrection with all of us there. After Mass, he went back up to the papal apartment, and then appeared in the window. When he came to the window, the crowd went absolutely wild for him.
I also remember the consensus after that Mass. Almost everyone there said "I'd be very surprised if he's still with us by next Easter." Let's just say you should never trust any lottery predictions I ever make.
While my memories of that Easter may be a little fuzzy, I have a somewhat clearer recollection of World Youth Day 2002 in Toronto. Due to job requirements and such, I made it to Toronto with barely enough time to just miss the welcoming ceremony for the Pope. However, the night prayer and Mass in the morning with the Pope were things that I'll never forget. Reports all weekend kept talking about how much he loved and appealed to the youth - but there is nothing that any media outlet can report that compares to actually seeing his reaction. In recent years, people may not have seen him as a man with a sense of humor, but there he was cracking some jokes to the crowd, and really drawing them in to what he had to say. There are two details that will stick with me for a while. The first was the weather. Anyone at WYD2002 can tell you, the weather was gorgeous all day Saturday and nice when we went to sleep - but at about 430AM, a total downpour started. Nobody was able to sleep, we were all completely drenched, and everyone was thinking "Well, won't THIS be a fun Mass?" So eventually the Pope's helicoptor arrives, and he gets out and into his vehicle, drives across the grounds through the crowd, all the while the rain is just dumping down. He gets up to the stage where the altar is set up, takes one set, and I'm not kidding, the rain just turned off, and the sun came out. The minute that happened a huge cheer went up from the crowd. I turned to one of my seminarian friends that was there with us and joked, "Well, if you had any doubts about things BEFORE..." The other thing I remember is one line from his homily that day, and the crowd's reaction to it. At one point, exhorting the crowds of young people gathered, he started to make a point by saying something along the lines of "You are young...and the Pope is old." As soon as he said that, shouts of "NO!" went up from the mass of people there, promptly followed by chants of "John Paul 2, We love you." This went on for a significant amount of time. All the while, he just lit up. The way he reacted whenever he was around young people confirmed what everyone there thought of him - regardless of his position, regardless of his age, regardless of his health, we all felt like he really was one of US, that he really understood us and that he genuinely loved us. And before continuing, I remember him just saying "And John Paul II loves you!"
Being involved in youth ministry, one of the things I'm going to remember about this Pope is how much a man of the youth he was. Instead of condescending young people, instead of saying "You will eventually be the leaders of the Church," he told them, point blank, "You are the Church RIGHT NOW, and it's time to start living that call." I think, in time, every youth ministry program in the Catholic Church should be consecrated to Pope St. John Paul the Great.
In reality, I'm too young to remember his political role during the Cold War. And then, during my college years, I became the worst kind of fallen away Catholic - the kind that still went to Mass and went through the motions, and still proclaimed to be Catholic, but didn't really care what the Church had to say and didn't strive to live by things. Only in the last few years of my life have I really come to understand what a saint we've had leading our Church for the last 26 years. One of the things I will best remember about him, and something that has had an intense impact on me and my ministry, is his unflinching proclaimation of the truth. As I've said in other places, there is clearly a reason a discussion is beginning to proclaim him a Doctor of the Church, with the title of "Doctor of the Truth." He never gave in or compromised on what the Church taught, never once lowered the bar, held it high but at all times telling the world to "Be not afraid!" and that they could easily clear that bar with the help of God.
I'm not into instant history. We live in exciting times, and it is the curse of everyone living at a given time to think that theirs is a historically critical period, that future generations will look back and view happenings as a turning point. That being said, I think from a historical standpoint, one thing that is going to revolutionize the world is John Paul II's "Theology of the Body." It is not an easy teaching at all, and it's one that many people (including myself) have struggled to live from time to time. But I find myself in full agreement with papal biographer George Weigel (and many others) that call "Theology of the Body" a "theological time bomb set to go off, with dramatic consequences, sometime in the third millennium of the Church."
While writing all of this, I wonder if John Paul II would have some problems with many of the tributes (including this one) attributed to him. I wonder if stuff like my reflection is falling into a trap that he so often fought against, namely judging a life by what it contributes and what it can offer rather than by who the person really is, namely a beloved child of God made in His own image. Are we reducing the life of one of God's beloved to just what he's contributed? There is no doubt that he has given so much to the Church, and as Mark Shea pointed out, "it will take the Church centuries to catch up with him." But in all our tributes and remembrances, let us remember that he tried to teach us all something with every breath he took, namely that we are all have meaning, that we all have dignity, that we all are worth something not for what we do, but for the fact that we are God's children, made in his image. This was something that Pope John Paul II embraced and lived with every ounce of energy he had with him. I pray that he pray for us, that we may be given the Spirit, the courage, and the wisdom to live that in our lives, every moment of every day.
John Paul 2 - I love you. Rest in peace, and pray for us.


<< Home