Defining moment?
I'm still trying to figure out how this flew under the radar: (Hat tip: Catholic Light
A frozen embryo destroyed in a Chicago fertility clinic was a human being whose parents are entitled to file a wrongful-death lawsuit, a Cook County judge ruled Friday.How in the world did this come down with very little discussion from people on either side of the debate?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a bold prediction. Either this case, or one closely resembling it, will be the defining court case in the struggle agains the culture of death for the next 25 years. This sort of ruling is one of those things that will be appealed as far as it can go - which means the Supreme Court will likely see something along these lines in the next 5 years (I'm thinking a long timeframe due to their actions is cases such as the pledge case - send the case back down on a technicality, don't rule on the actual substance until absolutely necessary). If the Supreme Court were to uphold this ruling, it would just about single-handedly overturn Roe. Saying that a frozen embryo is a human being would necessarily extend basic rights to that life, wouldn't it? Therefore, the law would reflect fact - abortion is murder.
I think this is one case that needs to be watched very closely as it drifts through the courts.


<< Home