Monday, January 24, 2005

Halfway

It's often said that if one has a desire to be closer to God, and to bring one's will more in line with His, that God will more that meet an individual halfway, and give them the graces that they need.

I wonder if that works on a national level?

Yes, I know...I need to clarify what I mean a bit more. I'm not saying that God takes sides or blesses the US in any special way (although we must admit that we are blessed by God to live in the country we do). And yes, the US allows a lot of moral travesties to continue to no avail.

But I just can't help thinking that there's divine mechanics working in a situation like this. I remember when Bush came down with his stem cell decision - nobody was happy. The pro-abortion "it's just tissue" crowd was furious that he wasn't completely funding the research, and the pro-life crowed was pretty furious that he was allowing ANY federal money to go towards that research.

But now it turns out that the stem cell lines that qualify for federal funding are contaminated and basically completely useless. The country took a step part way in banning future federal funding...and God met us halfway and took care of the rest?

I know, there's some people out there that are going to think that I'm too quick to attribute human mistakes to God's work. But still...I can't help but read that story and think that maybe someone is trying to tell us something...