Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Murder by any other name...

Having been off on our Spring Life Teen retreat this past weekend, I missed most of the news developments on the Terri Schiavo case. However, thanks to the efforts of Dawn Eden, and Times Against Humanity, I've been able to catch up...and somehow not manage to completely explode so far. I'm trying to keep my cool here, and not just completely go off...but is it really possible that our country and our culture can be THIS SCREWED UP (polite version)? I mean, I would like to think that there is SOME difference between our system and the murdering thugs in the Netherlands, but apparently that is just wishful thinking.

I think what really just makes my blood boil are the comments I'm reading in some places that this is just some "media driven news story" that really means nothing, and will this woman just please hurry up and die so that we can get back to the real news? Our country is about to allow the execution of a 100% completely no doubt about it innocent woman. This is MURDER people. There are no two ways about it. Rationalize all you want (and we know the culture of death is good at rationalizing...just find any abortion or euthenasia defense for an example).

Please, continue to pray for Terri - pray that those in power will do what is right, not what is convenient, that her husband has a conversion of heart to understand God's love and the love expressed through his marriage vows, for our country in this awful mess we've found ourselves in, and for all of us so that our hardened hearts will be softened to understand that life is life no matter the value the world places on it.

And one last thought, (courtesy of Jeff Miller, via one of Dawn's comment boxes), if you need any further evidence of how far gone our culture officially is, remember what we've learned in the past year - underwear on a prisoner's head is torture, but denying someone food and water and starving them to death is kind and humane.

Mary, our Mother, pray for us.