Friday, November 26, 2004

The "Social Catechism"

For a while I had read bits and pieces of references to some sort of comprehensive document on specifically the social teachings of the Church - a "Social Doctrine Catechism" if you will. I missed the original publishing announcement last month, caled the "Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church."

It's still not available anywhere easily accessable in Englsih (at least, not that I've been able to find), but there are a few interesting articles about some of the teachings and clarifications made in the Compendium. From the looks of it, one of the first and most heavliy emphasized doctrines layed out is on the importance of the family and all of the issues that are necessarily related to the family as a "vital cell of society."

I look forward to being able to look through this when it becomes available. Until then, that article (as well as this one on the basic principles of social doctrine) is a good read for an appetizer.