So I think I was a good boy yesterday in not gloating a whole lot. Needless to say I'm happy with the results, and there's no need to really rub it in - it is what it is, and it speaks for itself. I've been pretty well content to sit back and watch much of the hand wringing in sad amusement.
However, there are a few left-wing whining points that I'd like to take to task, if I may. These are things that have been said all over the place after Kerry called it quits, and are just screaming to be hit.
Whining point #1 - "I don't understand how such an unpopular president could be reelected. Nobody I know voted for him or think this is a good thing."
Easy part first - just because you don't know anyone that is happy with the results doesn't prove anything other than you live in an echo chamber or in a bubble.
As for the unpopularity thing...unpopular in leftist circles, sure...but that's to be expected. However, when you look at his job approval ratings, that doesn't really hold up. First, keep in mind that no incumbant has ever lost with a 50% job approval rating, which clearly Bush has been sitting around for most of the last month (can we say "margin of error" boys and girls?). It addition, the favorability numbers for Bush put him over 50%, while Kerry was under that mark. In fact, it's probably somewhat telling that the favorables of both candidates closely resembles the final popular vote margin (51 - 51 for Bush, 47 - 48 for Kerry). So the idea of "the most unpopular president ever" is a big of a red herring...he's always been plenty popular with a full half of the American population, and was more popular by 4 million people this time around.
Whining point #2 - "That's it, I'm fed up and moving to Canada."
This one is easy. Let's play a quick game. Show of hands - how many people said the same thing after the 2000 election? OK, keep your hands up if you followed through on it? That's what I thought. Can we PLEASE just retire this one? Nobody takes it seriously when it is said.
Whining point #3 - "As an American, I want to apologize to the world. Also, we owe our troops an apology as well."
It amazes me how many of my fellow countrymen just want to cave to the dictates of corrupt politicians all over the world. Explain to me why we should apologize for telling countries that made billions of dollars off of the oil-for-food to shove it? Explain to me why we should apologize for being serious about terrorism?
As far as our troops go, why are you apologizing for something that THEY WANTED? I'm looking for the final numbers, but early returns suggest that the military went something like 80-20 in favor of Bush. Now tell me something - what other organization on the planet gets to pick it's own leaders every 4 years, and opt for new leadership if they want it? If the vote were closer, like 55-45, then you might have an argument. But if the more that 3/4 of the United States military wanted Bush reelected, then isn't it just a wee bit condescending to be "apologizing" to them for Bush's reelection?
Whining point #4 - "How could the American people be so STUPID? Clearly all of the intelligence in this country is concentrated in the Northeast, upper midwest and west coast."
This is my personal favorite. If you're having a hard time with this, let me translate it into a more declarative form:
"Anyone that doesn't think like I think (liberal) is dumb."
Which goes to prove that the so-called party of free thinkers doesn't actually want to encourage free thinking at all. They want people to blindly follow their ideology, which was outright rejected (again) this time around. I don't get what is so difficult for the left-wing in this country to understand about the ability to think and reason of those on the right. If they really believe that people should be "free thinkers" then they should embrace the results, as more than half the country exercised it's right to think and simply came to a different conclusion than they did. But that seems to be too tough of a concept for people to wrap their heads around. If you believe what the left is spewing right now, then Bush was only elected by those that are a) scared, b) brainwashed, or c) bigots...which simply goes to prove how out of touch they are with the majority of America, and provides a further indicator on why they lost.


<< Home