Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Faking your way to "ordination"

I'm generally not a huge Diogenes fan, but I think he gets it right when commenting on the farcical "ordinations" that are supposed to happen in Pittsburgh:
You have to wonder whether these gals apply the same Make Believe Theology to the sacrament of matrimony...one of them may send off a letter to, I don't know, Brad Pitt, informing him that she intends to become his wife; that the theology of marriage is in flux; that consent of the bride (if enthusiastic enough) may supply for a defect of the same on the part of the groom; that the validity of the sacrament is not subject to patriarchal norms of liceity; that his attempts to ignore or deny the spiritual reality of their marriage is a cowardly rear-guard action of a discredited monogamism; that her birthday is May 11 and her favorite flowers are carnations.

The analogy, though suggestive, suffers from an obvious and lethal flaw: the proposal to Brad Pitt has a theoretical chance of success.