Monday, September 20, 2004

How do I dislike the? Let me count the ways...

When I was in high school, and even a little bit in college, I was extremely involved in the Model United Nations groups. I wasn't sure what sucked me in on it - perhaps it was some sort of serious debate on current issues facing the world, perhaps it was that I saw the UN as a worthwhile organization worth looking at, perhaps it was the competition. Or perhaps it was the discovery that in Model UN conferences, all it takes is someone with a forceful personality and a persuasive speaking ability (and a laptop) to steer the group in whatever direction you wish (which explains why a UN delegate from the country of Gambier could completely dominate an ECOSOC comittee). Whatever it was...I enjoyed it.

I can't believe I wasted my time.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have little use for the UN after the Iraq fiasco. But in the past year, my opinion on the UN has gone from "having little use for" to "actively dispising." Stuff like UNScam - the oil-for-food mess - and the body's complete inability to take a serious stand on the Darfur mess should really offend people.

But then you read stuff like the UN claiming that abortion is key to development and that their "peacekeepers" enjoy child prostitution brothels in Africa...and you realize that there is no low the UN will go to prove it's moral bankruptcy.